PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 - The Ultimate game of all games

Skavorn
21-07-03, 07:57 PM
OK maybe shenmue is the daddy for now but this time september it wotn even get hardly a mention. OMG!!!! Thank you crippler so so much....

My word....I am so so happy I got that video off crippler. Half Life 2 is the 1st game to have a totally utterly faltless environment, I am from September onwards never playing a single player 1st person shooter EVER again!!!

5 years in the making and looks like not 1 second wasted. I cant describe the quality of Half-Life 2 without making it sound worse than it is. Evereything u touch interacts absoltely like real life, everything u fire a grenade at, fire a bullet at acts totally like real life everything...is just totally amazed, my face was gbomsacked for the whole 22 minuites 40. God!!! And to think the facial expressions amazed me. LMFAO god! After seeing the environment you can totally see this game is 3 years ahead of any other game on the market, absoletly incedible. If you want to try something it will always work. The AI makes Half Lifes AI look like a bunch of retards. Everytime you play the game the AI will react different totally unscripted sequences. The screenshots dont do the game justice.

Characters: 1 year ahead of other games....
Environment: 3 years + probably infinite there is no way of improving these graphics if there is someone tell me!!

Go get the movie now....http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/123983.shtml

HUNTER
21-07-03, 08:32 PM
Skavorn, the bad thing is the latest Unreal Engine can do exactly whats in HL2, but because UT2003 is a MP the physics arent used widely. all the physics etc will demand a good CPU.

think it took 3 years from the Unreal Engine to get a nice upgrade and HL took 5 or whatever.

Yes it looks amazing but with a bit of coding here, few models there and some textures the unreal engine can look just like it

McBain
21-07-03, 08:34 PM
HUNTER, I think what Skavorn is talking about is far more than the physics. You can't interact with diddly dot on UT2003 surely?

HUNTER
21-07-03, 08:38 PM
HUNTER, I think what Skavorn is talking about is far more than the physics. You can't interact with diddly dot on UT2003 surely?

you can, switches etc can all be trigged by the player

some (easter eggs) require the play to shoot something for it to open or whatever

McBain
21-07-03, 08:49 PM
[sarcastic mode]

No way!!! Switches!!! Thats 8 or 9 years ahead of any other game out there!!!

[/sarcastic mode]

:P

Have you watched the HL2 video? It is nothing like any game can even get close to at present.

HUNTER
21-07-03, 09:51 PM
i watched a bit and can say that the stuff i saw can be done

Sc00by
21-07-03, 10:15 PM

:gunner:

Oh ffs! Look stuff moves on. Just get with the program and quit trying to tell everyone that UT is the best thing since best things where invented! We're all bored of hearing it now. So what if it all can be done in the UT engine, I don't see anyone doing it! And I think that's the point! The HL2 engine is DOING all this stuff in the really real world not in some fantasy UT world where everything is made of primary colours (or is that colors?) and it's all thoeretically possible...

:shock:

*which is quite possibly totally incoherent, which will probably mean that Hunter will be the only person able to understand it! :P

Skavorn
21-07-03, 11:25 PM
[sarcastic mode]

No way!!! Switches!!! Thats 8 or 9 years ahead of any other game out there!!!

[/sarcastic mode]

:P

Have you watched the HL2 video? It is nothing like any game can even get close to at present.

EXACTLY!!!!! u lot have summed it in 1...yes UT2003 has some nice graphics and it maybe the best deathmatch game.....but its a fantasy game....this is in real world....the AI in UT sux compared to the half life 2 AI....dont u dare say negatives about half life 2 until u have seen the video....with the half life 2 engine it could create ut 2003 and make it looks 4 times as good and will interact with everything....with the half life 2 engine anything is possible and thats a shit lot more than whats possible with ut2003 engine

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
22-07-03, 11:07 AM
me = cautiously optimistic but at the same time ot wanting to get hopes too high....

some of the AI in the movies looks lame (spec. the "baddies" behind the spiky barricade just stand around and get shot when they are obviously outnumbered 3-1), but everything else I saw looks most impressive

McBain
22-07-03, 05:02 PM

We know it can be done....they've done it...UT didn't :?

Skavorn
22-07-03, 05:06 PM
well....what would you do in that situation??? Try to run??

They knew they was gonna die I'd rather fight for my life than helplessly run away

If there was gonna be 1 problem with the AI it would be they dont seem to be very accurate, coz when u see the guy going through the level he never sustains more than about 6 - 7% damage, maybe he had it on easy on purpose maybe there are difficulty levels but thats the only complaint I could see...

I just wanna get my hands on that game now...

HUNTER
22-07-03, 06:20 PM

We know it can be done....they've done it...UT didn't :?

thats because UT has a MP community getting stuff like HL2 offers working online would require so much of a connection the game would become unplayable.

How can you say the AI is so great after seeing a video Skavorn?

Sc00by I'm not going on and on I'm just saying that technology over the past couple of years can do what the new hl2 is going to do.

McBain
22-07-03, 06:42 PM
Sc00by I'm not going on and on I'm just saying that technology over the past couple of years can do what the new hl2 is going to do.

We know it can...we've watched the HL2 video, thats what we're saying, it's amazing now what can be done (or what they've done). When you then say, 'oh yeah, UT can do that' it can't, it didn't, it doesn't....so there :p

Reevey
23-07-03, 11:28 AM
Im not gonna say which game is better, since I havn't played Half-Life 2, so :P

But, I have played UT2003, and I have played Devastation which is on the UT2003 engine and is meant to be totally realistic in that I can shoot stuff and it go breaks :P well tbh it doesnt. Red Faction is the closest thing I've seen where I can do anything to anything. In the demo I dug a massive whole into the ground, and well, just sat there :P

If devastation is putting the ut2003 engine to it's furthest then it dont go very far. Best I could get out of it was to shoot a can around a map, and that has been done, over and over.

Another thing (nearly done, dont worry) I havn't seen the long HL2 video, but I have seen the G Man video and OMFG the way his face looks so fucking really.

That's it...

Except, if the UT2003 engine is so amazing and great, why is everybody going on about the Half-Life 2 engine so much?

Reevey out :D

HUNTER
23-07-03, 01:31 PM
because of the ammount of fans, and the fact it's being released around the same time Doom3 is said to be.

I haven't played Devastation yet, but did follow it until release.

The ammount of UT, UT2003 won't add up to the ammount of HL fans out there so there was no way UT2003 would get such a big boost like HL2 is

Reevey
24-07-03, 12:09 PM
Ok. I have decided to join hunter...

UT2003 > everything else

Skavorn
24-07-03, 02:21 PM
just give up Hunter, your fighting a battle you are losing so so badly yes, UT is a great game but it wont touch Half Life 2, that UT engine may have been the best but now valve is about 2 release half-life 2, ut2003 will have the 2nd best engine....please don't say anything negative about half-life 2 until you have seen this video...

and by the way this video isnt 1 min long its 22 mins long thats how I know the AI is awesome....

wintermute
24-07-03, 08:48 PM
and the fact it's being released around the same time Doom3 is said to be

So why isn't everyone going on about Doom 3 then?

everything u fire a grenade at, fire a bullet at acts totally like real life

Er, so exactly how many things have you thrown grenades at in real life then Skavorn? :P

Rob

HUNTER
24-07-03, 10:25 PM
:lol:

I just said all i've seen in HL2 can be done it the Unreal Engine just because of he MP action in UT it isnt used because the things needed to update online players on what has happened needs too much bandwidth.

Skavorn i've seen the vid, well all the parts to it and it's almost like the Unreal Engine with physics, getting into vehicals etc

Skavorn, i'd never lose a battle against you

McBain
24-07-03, 10:35 PM
I just said all i've seen in HL2 can be done it the Unreal Engine just because of he MP action in UT it isnt used because the things needed to update online players on what has happened needs too much bandwidth.

So was it done in the single player Unreal 2?

HUNTER
25-07-03, 09:16 AM
nope because Unreal 2 was made by legend not epic

McBain
25-07-03, 09:22 AM
Unreal didn't use the Unreal engine?

HUNTER
25-07-03, 09:29 AM
OK.

Unreal 1 made by Epic, Expansion Release by Legend

Unreal 2 made by Legend

Unreal Tournament made by Epic Games

Unreal Tournament 2003 made by Epic Games

all games use a version of the Unreal Engine

McBain
25-07-03, 09:34 AM
On further investigation, so did Splinter Cell. All of these are very recent games, and none of them have done the things that HL2 is doing, so how can you claim it possible (I'd like to see evidence of your claims too, try http://www.epicgames.com/unrealenginenews.html cause I can't find the evidence)

Also, some of the stuff we see in the video has nothing to do with bandwidth issues etc. The effects on the water, the light refraction thorugh the different mediums.

Anyway, show us where it says all that has been done in HL2 can be done on the Unreal engine (and the game that backs that up) and we'll all be happy.

Until then, accept the Unreal isn't the greatest thing on the earth and be quiet :)

HUNTER
25-07-03, 09:41 AM
Water can be done, Light stuff can be done through windows etc

no game will back up what can/can't be done, the community which developed the game through mods etc will work it

McBain
25-07-03, 09:44 AM
Water can be done, Light stuff can be done through windows etc

Anyway, show us where it says all that has been done in HL2 can be done on the Unreal engine (and the game that backs that up) and we'll all be happy.

Until then, accept the Unreal isn't the greatest thing on the earth and be quiet :)

Sorry...doesn't work. I'm afraid you need some kind of proof. Just you saying so doesn't carry enough wait I'm afraid. As great a name in games development as you are and all :P

HUNTER
25-07-03, 09:53 AM
ok i will take screenshots, although the water is kinda hard to catch

if u have played Splinter Sell you will see some of these used anyway

McBain
25-07-03, 10:33 AM
I believe Crippler has Splinter Cell, so he can give us an impartial view as to whether Splinter Cell does what HL2 is going to do.

Reevey
25-07-03, 11:14 AM
Tbh lads the original Half-Life engine can do all this, just no games makes it do it. There. See, I have as much an argument as Hunter :D

Crippler2032
25-07-03, 11:50 AM
I've completed Spinter Cell and to be honest its not that great Graphically.

The only decent lighting effects it has are shadows...

HUNTER
25-07-03, 01:01 PM
I've completed Spinter Cell and to be honest its not that great Graphically.

The only decent lighting effects it has are shadows...

we are talking more than lighting.

e.g the curtains etc when u move around behind them etc and how some move in the breeze

Peter Piper
25-07-03, 01:18 PM
Hi all. So we are back to that which game/engine is better than that game/engine argument again or should i say banter. Firstly i ain't seen the vid but will, so not gonna comment on HL2. But what i do know is that Atari/Epic made the UT2003 engine to sell to peeps with lots of money and want to make a game. What you then get is peeps with loads of money and no ideas, thus ending up making crap games like Devastion. This then leaves people slagging off UT2003 and its engine when in fact it wasn't them. You may see a logo for Atari/Epic but thats cos its their baby.

Secondly, HL2 and Ut2003 are two totally different games. One needs you to interact with the enviroment and other one kinda doesn't. So no one should compare these. And in reality UT2003 and U2 missed out on the things that HL2 can do, but i think that wasn't what they wanted to do. I think they just wanted to show off the new UT engine and punt it out punters. I also believe that the UT engine can do all these things, but it a wait and see to see who does it.

Thirdly its funny how the tides of favorites are shifting, Once everyone was going on about how great DOOM III was and couldn't wait. But i knew that more games are due out that would overshadow it. Games like, Deus EX 2, HL2 and many more are due. But lets not forget BREED. I saw this at a show last year and i'm waiting for that as well as the rest i mentioned and not forgetting UT2004. Also more addon's for BF and more maps for ET. I will wait and play them all.

I do 3D stuff myself and am truly amazed at what is coming out. Fire now looks like fire and water looks and acts like water. Meaning particles are getting better as opposed to physics. These all means better looking enviroments to play in and destroy. Lets just wait and see and not rush our judgement before we have the games on our PC's :D

Forgive any speeling (lol) mistakes, i gotta go

McBain
25-07-03, 09:47 PM
Secondly, HL2 and Ut2003 are two totally different games. One needs you to interact with the enviroment and other one kinda doesn't. So no one should compare these.

Don't worry, we're not. We've moved on from that. We're trying to point out to Hunter that the fact that something can be done, and it actually being done are two very different things....he's just a little slow on the uptake ;)

Crippler2032
25-07-03, 09:48 PM
hes probably figured it out but is trying to up his post count... 8)