PDA

View Full Version : Event Competitions

McBain
16-09-03, 10:31 PM
I was just wondering what people thought should be played in competition format at the next Lanarchy. I have ideas already of a couple of changes to be made, but of course we always like to hear the opinion of the people that count.

We will take it as red that there will be UT2003 DM and CS 4 on 4 KO competitions (although I would like comments on how important people think the CS comp is. Is that a main reason for attending?)

Obviously you only get one vote. If there were to only be three competitions, which game would you like to play along with CS and UT?

Generally people comment on how they like the competitive atmosphere created at Lanarchy's. Please give your thoughts on this too. Would you enjoy it more or less if all competitions were scrapped and we just played games all day in a casual manner (unlikely to happen, but I'd still like peoples thoughts).

Thanks for anything you can contribute.

Sc00by
16-09-03, 11:41 PM
I see the OLSC guys haven't voted yet then :)

I think that competitions are important - even if there is no formal prize as they add to the atmosphere of a LAN.
I've voted for eracer (despite being totally pwed by Peter_Piper last time we played it) as it's not a first person shooter (as most of the others are) and you don't have to have played it lots before to enjoy it (as is the case with AoM).
Obviously that also leaves JK3, but I've not played that so I couldn't comment, but even if it isn't a FPS it's still more killing and sometimes killing other people gets boring...

HUNTER
17-09-03, 10:19 AM
i got for UT2003, CS, BF1942 and anything else anyone decideds to play.

i dont really go for the competitions just for the fun of playing.

McBain
17-09-03, 11:30 AM
Interesting that the only thing not to register a vote yet is DC. Having said that, ET and DoD are big pullers for the folk who I thought might vote for it, over at SC ;)

Actually, one advantage of ET is it is a free download that we could get everyone to take from the local website. :thumbs:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
17-09-03, 12:37 PM
as long as the website isn't hosted on a gameserver....

McBain
17-09-03, 01:51 PM
It never is. The local site is running fine again now we're home too, so we'll test it without a connection at somepoint to see if that was the cause of the problem.

Sc00by
17-09-03, 08:59 PM
I think that ET could be a really good game if we payed it a bit more often tbh. It's VERY team focused and not a game that you can just pick up and play (with any success) maybe we shoud play it some more and try to get to know a few maps and have some *tactics* for them before we discount it totally. Also as it's a free DL as you say we could distribute it at a LAN NP and everyone could play! :thumbs:

Crippler2032
17-09-03, 09:33 PM
I must admit i enjoyed RtCW:ET even though i really dont like RtCW. I just liked being the medic :D

[OLSC]LtTomWoolley
17-09-03, 09:35 PM
Anything as long as it has a garand stock-smack in it.

Huh, what's that you say...? :evillaugh:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
18-09-03, 07:29 AM
I think that ET could be a really good game if we payed it a bit more often tbh. It's VERY team focused and not a game that you can just pick up and play (with any success) maybe we shoud play it some more and try to get to know a few maps and have some *tactics* for them before we discount it totally. Also as it's a free DL as you say we could distribute it at a LAN NP and everyone could play! :thumbs:

isn't that almost exactly what I said (and keep saying) about rtcw-et?
you need to :rtfm: and invest the time to get to know the maps/quirks, yes it is frustrating at the start but bear with it and you'll get the hang of it...besides which there are only a few maps (6 in the offical release) to get to know so while they are quite large and can be complex, it shouldn't take that long - especially if you follow someone who knows what they are doing.

McBain
18-09-03, 07:35 AM
One thing that dawned on me though, was I don't like games were you spawn again having died. I prefer CS style, waiting until the round ends.

Any game where you spawn again, means your generally not that bothered if you die, as you'll be back very shortly...there is no penalty, which changes the way the game is played and it takes on that certain Deathmatch feel. :(

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
18-09-03, 07:51 AM
*coff* ut2k3

of course there is a penalty when you die, it's just not as severe as CS (which IMHO is excessive). I would agree with your comments if there was no objective, but since it is objective based, the "one life and you're out" would be ridiculous especially given the length and relative complexity of the missions. the only reason cs gets away with it is because it is so simple and brief (shallow?), whereas the depth of ET provides the entertainment.

McBain
18-09-03, 07:58 AM
I'm not trying to say that the CS style die and you're out would work for ET. I'm saying generally on games where you just respawn when you die people run around firing madly, more in a UT style way. People tend not to do this in CS, taking tactical movement as a better way to stay alive.

Peter Piper
18-09-03, 10:56 AM
Erm, MOHAA has an Objective based mod where you die and wait for the round to end. So forget the single player aspect of this game as the MP is pretty good and so are the objectives. Die and wait is pretty cool but can get boring if people are camping or hiding on vast maps.

Its also a shame that you used radio buttons and not check boxes as it would have given us more options in voting. But i will see how it goes.

DM games are good for a players individual abilities but not as a team effort unless it TDM. So bringing your clan to a Lan to play a DM based game seems pointless especially when some of the clan play mostly team games so they won't enjoy it. I think we have mentioned before that UT2003 BR should be played instead of UT2003 DM, cos as the figures showed from the previous UT screenshots not everyone out of the 35 players who attended on Saturday played it. So the point should be to play a TDM game that all will play.

ET sounds like the best idea as it is a free download and its good, making it the best choice. There are other choices such a Tribes II and the new Planetside. In both games you have to select the right uniform to do the job so basically not all players can be the same thing or no objectives will be won. But i am not sure if Planetside has a Lan function i think its only for online playing. In ET not everyone can be a medic so ET should be the best choice and gets my vote. :thumbs:

My thumbs up also goes to Eracer :thumbs: , which i never had a chance to play on Saturday and DC :thumbs: . But to be honest the Secret Weapons pack :thumbs: seems a better option to DC cos its just one upgrade and has new weapons as well as DC does. But the downside is that you need the SW CD to make it run. So give DC a try if you have the full install on your servers for downloading

Sc00by
18-09-03, 11:32 AM
Papa Smurf]isn't that almost exactly what I said (and keep saying) about rtcw-et?

Yes! :tongueout:

Though I'm with McBain in so much as I'm not a big fan of games where you respawn (it's one of the things I have against BF too) especially when your team is getting horse whipped and the opposition are sitting @ your respawn point... :(
One of the BIG plusses about CS for me is the whole die and your dead thing. Makes you think twice about charging round that corner all guns blazing... Where as in UT or ET or BF you'd charge round it anyway (though possibly in a tank :D ) If you die who cares you'll be back shortly...

If you die in CS and the round then drags on for ever ;make a mental note - don't die first next time! :thumbs:

McBain
18-09-03, 10:06 PM
Its also a shame that you used radio buttons and not check boxes as it would have given us more options in voting. But i will see how it goes.
Unfortunatly there are no options of what type of buttons to use. :?

Stabzz
19-09-03, 12:04 PM
I can definately understand McBain's take on the CS style of game play (you die, you wait) however I can say that I have MORE fun playing a game that I can play with more constantly not having to wait as long. Basically there is more action involved with a game like RTCW:ET (my choice) and gets EVERYONE going at the same time. So it allows even the newcomers, or those who don't play CS, the chance to get involved in a semi-tactial game without having too much of a learning curve (a good mix between UT type and CS - that is why I like SoF2).

McBain
19-09-03, 12:11 PM
The CoF boys are currently checking out ET to see what options there are for competitions. I see there are a few different types of game within ET including some that give it more of a CS style gameplay.

One is Last Man Standing. I understand this will be more like a round of CS although I don't know if there is still an objective in this round. Also, I'm not sure if it roles the score from one round to another, like CS does. (The few LMS servers I could see where empty :( )

Another option is to set a number of lives. I think this might be quite interesting. Say lives are set to 10, people wont want to die too much because they'll be out if they do. Again, I wasn't able to try out this game type just yet.

I'm not sure the Stopwatch game type will be much use, as the server I played on, neither team could complete the objective within 20 minutes. I can see there would be a lot of these tied matches and very few actual winners :?

[OLSC]Zrutu
19-09-03, 01:10 PM
What about Medic's in a game of last man standing.
Surely they would become the most sort after class.

Skavorn
19-09-03, 02:52 PM
I personally come to Lanarchy events for the CS + AoM...

As long as we play AoM & CS I'm happy

HUNTER
20-09-03, 05:07 PM

We didn't play AoM at L12.

I'm up for playing demos like i have done in the passed, as everyone is not amazingly great at them and we stand an equal chance :)

Sc00by
20-09-03, 05:24 PM

We didn't play AoM at L12.

Me and Wint did :!:

I'm up for playing demos like i have done in the passed, as everyone is not amazingly great at them and we stand an equal chance :)

Yeah that has worked quite well when it has been done it in the past. Something to consider innit?

SpyHunterUK
26-09-03, 09:08 PM
id play either bf1942 or RtCW: ET- its more temwork focused then CS. you cant just run in with a big gun and kill ppl. :wink: :lol:

Slacker Zero
26-09-03, 09:26 PM
Merica's Army? Just got around to downloading the game and i like it... quite CS-ish but more tacticle... not as chaotic... not sure if thats good or bad as Chaotic can be part of the fun in CS most of the time but it seems a good game nether-the-less.

HUNTER
27-09-03, 06:59 PM
Merica's Army? Just got around to downloading the game and i like it... quite CS-ish but more tacticle... not as chaotic... not sure if thats good or bad as Chaotic can be part of the fun in CS most of the time but it seems a good game nether-the-less.

AA is free yes, but has too many patches anyone already with the game could be on various different versions.

Sc00by
30-09-03, 02:00 PM
Well it looks like we have a winner in RtcW - ET and after a bit of a run around it amongst ourselves we fancy another go at it. Expect to see ET on a server near you @ Lanarchy 13. :thumbs:

[OLSC]Papa Smurf
30-09-03, 06:05 PM
*coff* told ya so *coff* :flipa:

(ungracious in victory as well as defeat)

[OLSC]Fizban
30-09-03, 06:44 PM
Heading OT, maybes copy the Ukrainians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3144704.stm)?

Fizban
The cause of the problem is:
The vulcan-death-grip ping has been applied.

McBain
30-09-03, 06:58 PM
:lol: Now thats a cool idea. It just so happens we have a couple of monitors in need of disposal... :think: